Many thanks to our bloggers Sabine Walsh, John Sturrock, Constantin-Adi Gavrila and Martin Svatos for their questions.
On institutions and associations
1. Which of the following ADR institutions provides a simultaneous med-arb procedure where the arbitration and mediation procedures are conducted simultaneously in two separate rooms?
A. ICC (International Chamber of Commerce)
B. VIAC (Vienna International Arbitral Centre)
C. CMAP (Chambre de commerce et d’industrie de Paris)
D. HKIAC (Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre)
2. Which of the following football associations has recently introduced mediation as a dispute resolution tool?
A. Football Association of Czech Republic
B. Polish Football Association
C. Brazilian Football Confederation
D. Japan Football Association
3. To whom do the confidentiality provisions in the EU Directive on mediation in civil and commercial matters attach?
A. Everyone taking part in the mediation
B. The mediator and the parties
C. The mediator
D. The parties
4. Which country in the EU is due to introduce a new regulation on mediator certification shortly?
5. Which country in the EU requires mediators to swear an oath of office?
6. Who can act as a mediator in a civil dispute in Cyprus?
A. Only lawyer mediators
B. Only non-lawyer mediators
D. Only court-based mediators.
7. In which of the following countries did the Constitutional Courts hold that legislation mandating attendance at a mediation information session prevented the parties from exercising their right of access to the judicial system?
8. Which country proposed in 2014 that UNCITRAL Working Group II (Arbitration and Conciliation) develop a multilateral convention on the enforceability of international commercial settlement agreements reached through conciliation?
A. New Zealand
9. With which state in the USA was Scotland’s mediation awareness closely associated in the early-mid 2000s? And who was the leading judicial figure from that state who helped to inspire the Scots?
A. California; Chief Justice Ronald George
B. Maryland; Chief Judge Robert Bell
C. New York; Chief Judge Judith Kaye
D. Washington; Chief Judge Mary Kay Becker
10. If Brexit results in all the countries in the United Kingdom leaving the EU, which country will be the only common law jurisdiction in the EU after Brexit?
And on deliberation
11. Who wrote the following?
“…the mounting global hubbub surrounding mediation, and highly varied perceptions regarding the nature and value of mediation, underscore the need for thoughtful conversation and deliberate reflection on present trends and tendencies. The failure to periodically step back and take stock of where we are and where we are going increases the likelihood of behavioural “drift” – that is, action that becomes increasingly reflexive as opposed to deliberate.”
A. Professor Stacie Strong
B. Professor Nadja Alexander
C. Professor Thomas Stipanowich
D. Professor Jacqueline Nolan-Haley
Wishing our readers a relaxing and reflective summer break.
From all of us at the Kluwer Mediation Blog
How to submit your answers to the quiz
Please send your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 August 2016. The prize will go to the participant whose answers are the first full set of correct answers (and failing a full set, the highest score) to be received. Answers to the quiz will be published in early September.